Essay Writing Tips: What to Include in Your Body Paragraph
Writing an essay involves some basic steps you need to follow gradually. Traditionally, every essay needs to have a precise topic, where you show the reader what you are going to discuss. The second important thing is the introduction of your essay. This is where you present your topic to the readers and build curiosity. You do not have to begin with a dictionary definition of your topic. You may or may not include a thesis statement in your introduction. After that, you need to write the body paragraphs, these paragraphs have the content of your essay. You include all your ideas, logics, data, arguments, examples, and facts in these paragraphs. However, they need to be unique. The number of body paragraphs depends upon your main ideas. If you have three main ideas, you will need three body paragraphs and so on. After the body paragraphs you will write the conclusion of your essay. This is the last paragraph in your essay and needs to summarize your essay in a precise way.
The body paragraphs
The body paragraphs may vary in number from essay to essay. Ideally, there are three body paragraphs in an essay. All of them are structured in the same way. However, you need to keep a certain things in mind while writing the body paragraphs.
- Each body paragraph should be based on a unique idea that is your major argument. You should not write two body paragraphs for the same argument.
- Write your main idea in the opening sentence of your paragraph
- Include the supporting points after the main idea. Give a gap between these supportive points so that they can be identified. The supporting points can be examples, case studies, statistical figures, and survey results etc. However, they should be based on valid, recent, and authenticated data.
- You can summarize each body paragraph in a sentence or two and include it at the end of your paragraph. However, this is not necessary. You can do so if you feel comfortable with it.
- The transition between paragraphs needs to be very smooth. The reader should be able to tell when a paragraph has ended and the other idea has started.
- Do not use similar data and examples in more than one paragraph. You should gather similar data in one single paragraph.
These tips will help you in writing strong body of your essay.